Monday, December 28, 2015

The Guy Beside Me Ran from Ayala Ave. to Megamall to catch the Gala Premiere of Star Wars: The Force Awakens



Did that catch your attention? Well, I had to come up with a 'Wait-What?!' title, given that the Star Wars: The Force Awakens Gala Premiere was already a few weeks ago, December 15, at the IMAX in Megamall, to be exact. This post comes in really late, since I got caught up in the holidays, and of course The Force Awakens itself. I was also (still am) actually, sick and took a few weeks of writing. This is the first post I'm writing, after said short break.  

As the year draws to a close, I can easily tell you that attending the gala premiere of Star Wars: The Force Awakens is easily one of the highlights of my 2015. It is indeed one of the most anticipated premieres in recent memory and I am very fortuante (and grateful) to have been on of the chosen few to have been in attendance. 


Our own Gala Premiere might not have had the big name Hollywood actors and actresses who star in the movie but we have the Pinoy 501st and Fight Saber Philippines to add a little spice to the screening. 

As I entered the mall, I could hear the entire Star Wars soundtrack playing over the mall speakers. Yup. It wasn't Christmas songs but it was the whole (freaking) soundtrack playing! Honestly, I cried a bit as I head the familiar John Williams score playing. Little did I know it was just the first few tears I would shed that night. (Force Awakens Review here)
    



Despite the heavy rain and traffic which surrounded the Metro that night, faithful fans braved the inevitable challenge of travelling to SM Megamall in Ortigas. 

I left two hours earlier in anticipation of the traffic. The guy seated beside me in the theater (and I kid you not), ran, yes, ran from Ayala Ave. all the way to Megamall! Traffic was so bad and he couldn't get a ride through Uber that he did the unthinkable. As he was telling me his story, he was placing his wet clothes (he got drenched in the rain) in a bag. He had to purchase new clothes when he got to the mall. I overheard him telling his friends that 'It was the Force compelling him to run' -Hey! A great story he can tell his kids someday right? 


Before the premiere, guests were treated to an awesome light saber duel from Fight Saber Philippines, who have been busy, weeks and days leading up to the premiere (and even after, with all the blocked screenings) performing at events for fans. Of course the Pinoy 501st also went trooping and had photos taken with fans. I did an interview with my cousin of sorts, Luis who is a part of the Pinoy 501st, you can read it here.  When I did the interview, back in 2012, the 501st were still an Outpost, they have since then become a Garrison the upgrade due to an increase in number of members. 

From their Facebook page, The Philippine Garrison 'The 501st Legion is a non-profit organization that uses its time and effort doing charity and volunteer work'. 


Hosts and Big Star Wars fans themselves: Chico and Gino.
 I've been a fan, so it was a thrill to see them host. :) 
Another thing, I will never forget about the premiere was getting to watch the movie, with fellow fans who 'Ohhhhh' and 'Ahhhhhhh' d at all the right queues and moments. A light saber salute at the end of movie, just made things even more memorable. 

I've already seen The Force Awakens two times, and I'm looking forward to my third time :) 

What a great memory I plan on holding on too :) 

Can't wait  to see what Episode XIII has in store for all of us! 

Micheal V. poses with members of the Fight Saber Philippines after the premiere. 

(c) All photos are from the official Star Wars PH Facebook page.

Thank you Disney for the invite :)



No comments:

Post a Comment